Monday 28 January 2013

The African Sartorialist

Solange's clip Losing You is blowing me away.


Solange Knowles, Losing You

How fun is that? The clothes first made me think of Malick Sidibé's photos of 70's fashion in Mali. 

Un Jeun Gentleman, 1977

With my new bag, 1975

Young Shepherds, 1972


















Then it occured to me that I had seen Solange's dance partners some time ago, in Gentlemen of Bacongo. The collection of photos chronicles the style of the Sapeurs (Society for the Advancement of People of Elegance) from Congo's Brazzaville, and already inspired Paul Smith back in 2009.

Add caption

Turns out, Beyonce's sister recruited the book's photographer Daniele Tamagni for her clip. Which is why the whole thing looks so reliably sharp. Go girl. 





No comments:

Post a Comment